An honest and reflective look on the History of the Quaker Friends Movement and what that means for the values we take with us into the future.
A brief introduction to the series and our thoughts on the state of the Evangelical church and what the Friends movement means.
A look at the History of the cultural and political powers of the church, what is the modern crisis and what is the remedy? Also, are Evangelical Quakers actually Evangelicals?
WHAT IS THIS CLASS?
I want to convince you to be Friends, and to get passionate and excited about the Friends Testimonies. I believe that the Friends movement can be the antidote to the venom that is infecting American Evangelicalism.
STORY TIME: THE GERMAN YEARLY MEETING
- The resource war of WWI
- The founding of the AFSC and the Quäkerspeisung.
- Founding of the German Yearly Meeting
THERE IS A POISON IN THE MODERN AMERICAN BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
- Rise of the “Nones,” from 6% to 26% in twenty years.
- Decrease in church attendance by 10% in ten years.
- 9% on Non-Christians have a perception of Evangelicals that is at least “somewhat positive.” (that includes only 1% of “very positive”).
- 25% of Americans think that “Evangelicals are Racist,” 20% think that “Evangelicals are Misogynistic.”
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE MODERN AMERICAN EVANGELICAL MOVEMENT?
- Too much emphasis on the Bible (bibliolatry), not enough emphasis on Jesus – Andy Stanley
- Too much emphasis on experience, not enough emphasis on the Bible – Tim Keller
- Christians aren’t good at loving others, especially those who disagree with them – Both Tim Keller and Andy Stanley
- We’re not living transformed lives, because we have de-emphasized the Holy Spirit – Francis Chan
- We allow something other than Christianity to form our identity – Casey Cole (referencing C.S. Lewis’ “Christianity and…” section of the Screwtape Letters).
- Entertainment/Social Trends
- Political Agendas
- Being right/Social Hierarchy
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE FRIENDS?
Friends Spirituality is stripped-down Christianity. It is Christianity for people who say, “I don’t care about that other stuff, I just want to be Friends with Jesus.”
STORY TIME: EARLY FRIENDS
The thirty-years war first real continent-wide war. Estimated to have killed 8-12 million people (in an era where the population of Europe was only 78 million) mostly from famine and disease. On Great Britain, there were the English Civil Wars (1, 2, 3 and the Glorious Revolution).
- A prayer movement
- People seeking a “direct and unmediated” relationship with the God of the Bible.
- Had no agenda with respect to politicians. Though they did have political ideas that they promoted.
- Did not have a name or organizational structure.